GIB is a Swiss foundation based in Basel active since 2008. GIB’s vision is a world in which investments in social, economic and physical infrastructure lead to inclusive, sustainable and resilient communities and ecosystems.
Are you looking for an opportunity to advance the world’s transition to sustainable and resilient infrastructure? Join our team!
- Type: Fixed-term contract (subject to 3-month probation period, extension possible)
- Start date: January 2023 or by mutual agreement
- Location: Basel, Switzerland (hybrid arrangement, 2 days per week at the office)
- Duration: 4 years
- Percentage: 80% – 100%
- Travel requirements: international travel may be required occasionally
- Deadline for applications: 20 November 2022 (23:59 CEST)
- Other requirements: A Swiss work permit or EU citizenship is a requirement
- Salary range: 81,000 – 101,000 CHF/year (for an employment rate of 100%)
About the position – Project Officer, Sustainable Finance & Investment
GIB is embarking on an exciting new project to advance sustainable urban transition, namely
to align climate neutrality and urban quality in a number of European cities and replicate the
same approach in others. The project will support the implementation of Climate-neutral and smart cities – a key EU policy focused on sustainable cities.
As project officer, you will be working with world-renown partners to support a number of European cities with an ambition to achieve climate neutrality and urban resilience. This transition will include different actions, such as development of policy documents (e.g. climate plans), governance models and financing approaches focused on how to finance such a transition.
Solutions that will be discussed will include sustainable and resilient infrastructure, naturebased solutions, circular economy, food systems and others. You will focus on ensuring that these solutions have solid investment and partnership plans, adequate strategies and are financially viable.
Our ideal candidate has a strong passion for sustainable (and municipal) finance and sustainable investing, and shares GIB’s core values.
At GIB, we take inclusivity and equality very seriously. We strongly encourage all individuals
of any gender, persons with disabilities and persons of any age to apply, and
we promise we will consider your application carefully and fairly. Please also indicate
in case you need any arrangements or adjustments to perform your duties.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Managing the project budget, timeline, reporting and governance structure.
- Developing investment and partnership models/plans for and with cities to achieve their ambition on their climate-neutrality and urban quality journey (specific goals to be defined as part of the project).
- Developing investment opportunities and financing models for climate adaptation and
mitigation strategies (e.g. sustainable and resilient infrastructure, nature-based solutions,
circular economy etc.).
- Coordinating the development and implementation of capacity and skills development with selected partners (e.g. cities and implementing partners).
- Coordinating meetings, roundtables and events with selected partners (content, logistics,
communication, data, follow-up).
- Supporting the programme’s annual review, reporting, financial and budgeting.
- Writing the programme policy documents, summaries and papers on lessons learned.
- Assisting in planning physical events (sessions, agenda) alongside partners and securing key speakers and participants. Supporting event logistics and marketing efforts.
- Liaising with key partners to ensure all efforts are aligned and that the project achieves
its objectives. This includes planning meetings, physical convenings, online discussions as needed.
You meet the following professional criteria:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An advanced university degree in a related field (at least BA, MA preferred): e.g. economics
& business, finance, project management, sustainable development, or other
- Excellent oral and written English. Must be equal or equivalent to C2 level.
- Proficiency in German is an advantage.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the field of sustainable finance / climate
- Knowledge of European funds & financing instruments is an asset (e.g. European
Structural Funds), including relevant insurance solutions for de-risking investments.
- Knowledge of municipal finance is an asset.
- Project-management experience is an asset, especially in relation to EU project/programmes
or relevant international initiatives where multiple partners and stakeholders
- Above-average Microsoft office expertise.
Our ideal candidate has the following personal attributes:
- Proactive, efficient and results-oriented.
- Open-minded personality and positive attitude.
- Team player.
- Delivers high quality outputs (flexibility to adapt quickly to changing priorities and environment).
- Demonstrates a high degree of self-motivation and independence.
- Strong time-management skills.
- Well organised and good at managing several tasks simultaneously.
If you meet the above requirements, please submit your application in English by e-mail to
email@example.com before the deadline. Your application should include:
- CV in English
- Brief Motivation letter in English (1 page max.)
- Copy of your valid permit that allows you to work in Switzerland (if applicable)
Please reference the specific position you are applying for, and where you saw the advertisement.
Applications will only be considered if they provide all the above. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by e-mail or phone and invited for an interview (either physical or online).
If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact Juraj Jurík at: